Friday, March 14, 2014

Writer's Group Finally Happening!

Last night our Writer's Critique group met and things went pretty well I thought.  We elected to drink beer instead of tea, which was fine, but it was still the same operation.  Hold up your manuscript in shaking hands, read it out loud to a group of strangers, hope they won't throw squishy tomatoes and bad cabbage at your face.

I put the group together so I figured I would go first--it was terrifying.  I didn't realize how much I lacked in confidence about the whole thing, even though I got pretty good reactions from the whole gang.  I had finished my short story about the cyberpunk detective a few days before, of course I couldn't read the whole thing at once as my girlfriend pointed out, it's forty-five pages long.  So, I broke it up into four part installments, that seemed to go over pretty well.

My friend Loki (not sure if he wants his real name on the internet just yet) agreed to present some fiction for next week, I'm very excited and I can't wait to revise my story a bit more.  I'm wondering if it will get longer and become a novella, that would be cool.

When it's finally done and copy edited my plan is to distribute it as an ebook.  I'm thinking Smashwords is probably the best website for me--there seems to be a lot of good talent there.  I keep thinking about Amazon though, Kindle Direct Publishing is pretty cool and anyone with a Kindle device or app can buy my book--that is cool!  I'm really excited about selling my work and finally letting it see the light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment