Friday, March 21, 2014

Slightly Hung Over at Work, my Students didn't Care

I wait all week for it to be Friday and by the time it's here it's gone all over again.  I'm an Instructional Assistant for a Severely Handicapped class in my local school district.  I never would have thought it was something I would like but it has turned out to be just that.  The teacher was out today and the kids were very wild.  And messy too, we have the custodian on speed dial down there.

I didn't write at all yesterday and now I feel guilty.  The rationale was that I had met my deadline and all I had left to do was present it.  But I couldn't do that because everyone was sick--now I feel like I wasted the day.  That's a feeling I've grown to hate.  My plan is that today I'll work on another piece, I can't do much more to "Bad for Business" until I show it to the group and get some critique.  I feel like I have this sense of urgency to get some work finished and online, not sure why.  Is it because I'm thirty?  Maybe.  I remember making a deal with myself that I wanted to have something published by now--silly, I know.  I guess when I was a kid I always imagined this future where I sold best-selling novels and made a million dollars and married the girl I had a crush on in second grade and bought my own robot dog.  It was supposed to be the future after all.

Now I'm here, it's 2014 and I work part-time and rent a home with my girlfriend and our very not robot dog.  I guess this is better, it's real.  Not a fantasy.  Real things aren't beautiful or perfect but they are ours.  I'm still writing, still doing, still dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment