Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Meeting Deadlines, Taking Names

Writer's group is tomorrow and I actually have my next installment edited and ready to go.  I'm quite impressed at my own lack of procrastinating.  I decided to add Adrien's hot tech lady sidekick the other day, although for some reason I feel like I tiptoe around female characters.  I want them to be feminine and relatable but I worry they come off as blow up bimbos with huge pillowy breasts and leopard print g-strings.  I found myself trying to describe a hole burnt into Reiko's tank top without mentioning her chest or her midriff.  Part of it too is that if I start describing my women like models in a centerfold then I alienate any female readers who may have an interest in my books.

I'm hoping that by adding more female characters in future stories I can show some contrast, I've been developing the nugget for my next short story and I want it to feature a dangerous woman.  Of course there is a lady in our fiction group so I suppose I could always ask what she thinks about women in my world.

I found myself thinking back to the first chapter I wrote for an urban fantasy novel a couple months ago--it was really strong and fun to write.  Although I hadn't officially chucked the idea I had taken it out of active development.  The reason for that was a lack of content, I wanted that full ninety-thousand word limit of a first novel.  But now that I know there is a decent market for novellas I'm thinking of going back to finish it at whatever length it turns out to be--that excites me.

No comments:

Post a Comment