Monday, April 14, 2014

Market Research Findings, Apprehension

Recently I discovered the Author Marketing Club, apparently they will do non-biased book reviews so that I don't have to burden my friends.  I think I'll still reel in about a handful of the people I've asked to review, but I will also post on AMC.  I'm hoping this venture works out, I really am.  As I approach the finish line on this piece, I feel that I should be taking a rest before I start the next.  I have no plans to do that.  I already have a clear story in mind for the next Adrian installment and I have a few others on the back burner.

Over the last day or so I've been doing some market research to see what sells the best--I am largely unsurprised.  My findings suggest that Romance, Thriller/Suspense, and Mystery are still among the highest grossing genres.  Figure that's a no-brainer.  The new kid on the block, as it were, is Paranormal fiction, a genre that is largely choked with 'tween romance and straight-up supernatural erotica.  To my surprise however, the Urban Fantasy market is actually quite slim.  This bothers me greatly.  I am still working on my Urban Fantasy project (Lost Lamb) but now I'm wondering if anyone will buy it.  Much of the Urban Fantasy that I've tried to read is actually quite disappointing.  I'm still having trouble finding another Dresden Files to get into, which I love of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment