Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Publishing Options, Lack of Decision Making

Good news is: chapter eight is coming along well.  Bad news is: I have no idea what to do with this novel when it's done.  It's driving me crazy.  There is no shortage of articles telling writers to either self publish (it's great, you'll get tons of money, everyone is doing it) or to forgo that route and get published traditionally (you get a fat advance, you don't have to pay for anything, it's more meaningful because it's a pain in the ass).  I'm thinking about hitting some fiction writing forums and picking the brains of some other people.  Of course I'm sure I'll get the same mix of responses.

So, Bad for Business (my epublished novella) has been up on a review request board on Good Reads for some time.  The other day someone signed up!  Yeah, they could still not like the book, but I'm really not worried about that.  I'm just excited that someone is reading it.  It's been free on Smashwords for a while, and I see plenty of downloads, but I haven't seen any feedback.  It's a little frustrating.

I had been thinking about traditional publishing for the merit that I wouldn't have to do this obnoxious marketing stuff.  However, I've read a few articles that said even if you're book is published this way, the publisher makes no effort to promote it.  That part is still up to you.  The main advantage would be that I'd have an agent who would manage some of the book bidding and so on.  Of course I'd need an agent to get a publishing contract and I'd need a publishing contract to get an agent.  So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment