Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Proverbial Corners

I read books.  The cat is out the bag.  What I own a lot of are these "How to write awesome fiction that will make you famous and get you a million dollars" books.  Seriously, I own like twenty books about fiction writing.  Many of them are awful.  I read one once that had an ongoing metaphor of building a house that was compared to writing a manuscript.  This metaphor was so detailed and thorough you could have probably cut the writing stuff and turned it into a DIY house-building book.  Needless to say, it didn't help that much.

I bring this up because I've been reading an actually good book of this kind.  Really.  They exist.  It's called Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft.  No one asked me to recommend this book.  No one paid me.  This is truly a helpful book.  It's actually a college textbook and the newest edition costs about fifty big ones.  If you're interested in this book--DO NOT get the newest edition.  The one I purchased was a used seventh edition and it set me back all of seven bucks.


Today I'm continuing to write on my eighth chapter of Lost Lamb, my urban fantasy novel.  Although it has been hard getting to this point, I'm beginning to feel that the work is paying off and that maybe a breakthrough is around the proverbial corner.

I've found lately that a good bit of exercise actually helps me work through the scenes in my head.  Makes it easier to imagine what is happening and what should be happening.  Moreover, it seems that having another project going makes it easier for me to bring fresh ideas to this project.  I've been doing some unrelated free writing lately and have decided to start writing it here.  I guess a fiction blog should probably contain some fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment