Monday, September 29, 2014

The Unfortunate Importance of Planning

Every author has their own technique for writing a full-length novel.  Some just get an idea and write it until the story's done.  Take Parnell Hall, he's said in an essay that this is exactly what he does.  Just grabs an idea and rolls with it.  Then you have Sue Grafton who does a little more with her books, she compiles a list of male and female names and plot points and other various details, and generates new characters and a new title for the new book.  Then she cuts herself loose and writes.  Then you have the end of the planning and plotting spectrum--those are the people who keep meticulous notes in a journal and fill out character sketches and outlines.  I don't really know any real-world authors who claim to do this, but every book about writing fiction says it's the way to go.

For some time I've been trying to find my method of constructing a full and satisfying novel.  I've tried each of these approaches at least once.  In my latest novel, I've tried combining them.  I created a short outline of the course I wanted the story to take in my head and then wrote the first chapter.  Then I outlined the next couple of chapters just before writing them.  When they were finished, I outlined the next couple.  So far, this method has been producing spectacular results.  I get to write the story and see where it's going but I also get to make sure scenes that I really like actually happen.

The problem that I'm encountering now is, now that I'm approaching the midpoint of the book, I have to see what chapters I have figured out and what holes need to be filled.  This is proving to be a pain in the ass.  I've started on an outline and a timeline and now I'm just putting together sketches of future scenes.  In the meantime, I'm heading into chapter ten with considerably high spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment