Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Holy Crap I'm Back

School has started again (and for me that means I'm back to work) and I've pulling a TON of overtime this year.  It is insane.  Needless to say I've been finding considerably less time for writing fiction.  Goes without saying I suppose.

As for the project at hand, my Urban Fantasy novel Lost Lamb, I'm just coming back in for some revisions on the eighth chapter.  My hero has very deliberately put himself in a dangerous situation with a woman he knows has been killing people around town.  But Jaden is nothing if not stubborn.  It felt like the book would never get to this spot.  I've been wanting to write it pretty much since I wrote the first chapter.  Some serious shit is going down.

Something else I'm trying to do is vary my sentence structure.  I have one format that I seem to use repeatedly in fiction.  I'll demonstrate here:

     The alien ran out of the spaceship door, carefully closing it behind him.

What I mean by structure is this:

     The NOUN VERBED and so forth, VERBING ADVERBLY and whatnot.

This sentence structure seems to be part of my "style" as one person in the writer's group said, but I feel like I really overuse this particular sentence.  I haven't decided how many of them I'm going to strip out but hopefully I'll get it sorted.  I shouldn't worry about it too much.  According to most fiction writing books it's really the image in our head that the words translate to that we will remember--not the words themselves.  I've been rereading the Dresden Files lately and I've found it to be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment