Friday, April 15, 2016

Another Friday, Another Chapter

Chapter 3 of Hired Gun has officially gone live.  So far, I've been getting a really strong positive response.  This book is really blowing up.  Tons of new views on the new blog, which is cool.

I feel like Chapter 3 is where the story really starts to develop.  You get to see Jason as a troubled hero with a difficult line of work, and he struggles with feeling that his efforts have little impact.  Something I always tried to come back to while writing this book was that Jason Ingram is a man.  Nothing more.  Not Superman.  Not Batman.  Just a regular dude who does some really interesting stuff.

Urban fantasy seems to be a genre plagued with wizards, summoners, half-demons, half-fairies, gargoyles (as heroes!), vampires--you freaking name it, and some UF hero is one.  That was tempting for me to fall into at first.  I'd been planning to make Jason a faith-based hero, like a paladin or a cleric.  But the more I wrote from his voice, the more I discovered that his plainness is what makes him special.  The fact that every job is a life-or-death struggle made me really care about him.  Anyway, I hope you like it.  Happy reading.  The new link is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment