Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pretentious Monologue About Fiction Follows

Videos games were my first love.  I was a kid who didn't make a lot of friends in public school.  Actually, until I got to High School, I had almost no friends.  Needless to say, I didn't do a lot of socializing.  What I did a lot of was sit in my room and click on my Super Nintendo while the sunshine beamed down outside.

Games were my first stories.  Sure, I tried to read some novels, I even actually read some good ones; A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Leguin was among my first.  But the thing was, I really valued that interactivity of video games.  I always wanted to make games, but oddly enough, I gave very little interest to graphics and coding.  What I really wanted to do, was write stories for video games.

I sat down with my SNES today and played one of my still favorite games of all time.  Mega Man X.  In the first stage, which does a great job of establishing the story and the world it takes place, you face a villain in a large robot suit called Vile.  A bad guy with a name that means, "icky".  You can't kill Vile--no matter how hard you try.  In this first encounter, he must win.  Because it sets up the game's theme for getting stronger.  But every time I sit down to play it, I still fight back against Vile.  Not because I don't know that I can't win, but because I don't think X would give up.  I don't think he knows that he can't win.  It's still a story, after all.

When I was a kid, I had very in-depth fantasy adventures.  I even put together a little montage opening and a theme song in my head.  I think I was a time traveler, or something.  The stories were always about me (I was eight-years old, don't judge).  I never really shared them with anyone because they weren't for other people--they were for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment