Thursday, October 23, 2014

Planning Redux

I've written before about planning novels as opposed to flying by the seat of one's pants.  Until recently, I've subscribed to the method that Parnell Hall calls "Taking an idea and going with it." And although that's how this novel (Lost Lamb) got started, it is certainly not how it's getting finished.

I'm officially further than half way done writing this piece, that's leaving out revising and editing and so forth, and its been a little scary.  But now I'm an organized writer.  I write full outlines for each chapter, just like I learned in a novel writing course (which I always thought was silly) and I write full length timelines that cover every important event in the book (which I've never been able to finish before) and I accept that some of my favorite scenes are the ones that I'll have to cut.

It's not finished yet, but I feel like I've done it.  I feel confident and capable to take on full-length novels in the future.  I'm already planning the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment