Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Rewrites Are A Pain In The Ass

Just like the title says.

I remember blogging about how much I hated the editing stage when I was working on Bad For Business last year.  What I didn't know was that a much larger work, my new full-length novel in particular, would be a much bigger pain in the ass.  I guess what I hate about it is that, for the most part, the creativity is over at this stage.  Now it just needs to look as nice as it can and be a good face for me and my work.

I also hate that aspect too.  The shoe-shining, hair-slicking, put-on-your-best-suit angle.  I feel that people who genuinely like the story won't stop reading because of a typo or a cluttered image.  The people that I'm really concerned with at this stage are the more flighty readers.  The people who put down a book because they thought the horse's name aught to be Tom instead of Fred.  And yet, I'd really like these people to stick around and read the whole thing.  I want as many readers as I can get, that's the marketing angle of it.

I know that some readers will ultimately drop off at some point in the story.  It's okay.  Reading is a hobby, not a job.  You don't always finish every book you pick up, but I've spent so much work on this one that I hope someone does finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment