Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cyber Detective Series Is No More

Bad news for Bad for Business fans--all two of you.  The time has almost come for me to start a new project.  Well, that's not exactly true, but the time has come for me to THINK about starting a new project.  While I considered writing the next book in the Cyber Detective series that I self published on Smashwords and Amazon, this is proving to not be a productive use of my time.

I think I actually lost money on that novella.  Let's work it out.  I spent just about $5 each time I went to Office Supply for printing, which was about three times.  Okay.  I spent about $15 dollars just on paper copies for my writer's group and I made about $10 in royalties.  Yup, I'm in the hole by five bucks.  Awesome.

I don't have much time to spend on writing and I feel that, ultimately, my Urban Fantasy hero, Jason Ingram (had to change his name) will actually make me money.  Sure, I could write another story about Adrien, and maybe someday I will, but at this point, it's just not worth it to me to write another book that no one will read.  Sorry.

Cyberpunk just isn't a big genre.  Remember Johnny Mnemonic?  Yeah, who does?  With the exception of the classics (Snow Crash, Neuromancer, Blade Runner) people just aren't that into this genre.  That's okay.  The one person who left me a review on Smashwords said that he was into it until he figured out that it was Sci Fi.  If I'd written a regular detective story about a regular dude, I probably would have had a lot more success and that's what I want.  Sad to admit but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment