Thursday, May 21, 2015

Titling Titles Tidily

Revising went smoothly today.  Mostly, I was just gliding through and patting myself on the back.  It feels good to finally be going through the writing that I really like.  But it's probably sad that it's 90% through the book until you reach it.

I'm still considering whether or not I need a new title.  Lost Lamb has been the working title, but I'm starting to worry that it's too cliché.  See that?  I know how to make one of those in Windows.  The little E with the doohicky over it.  Résumé.  Ha.  Anyway, I really want this book to stand out, and I know that I tend to sort them by title and decide whether or not I'll even bother with the first page.  Here are some that I'd probably pass up.

Dragon Strippers
Vikings on Motorcycles
The New Tales of Merlin in San Fransisco
Chumbo And The Giant Fangaly Beast

You get the idea.  We judge heavily based on the title.  And, while I understand that my publisher can choose to change the title, I really want to come up with the right one.  But shit, maybe I already have.  Who knows?  Maybe I've just been looking at it for over a year and am now hating it.  Yeah, that's right, been working on this crazy thing for 12 full months.  Think I've lost the exact date, but I've been doing serious work on it since early May of last year.  I actually wrote the first chapter as an experiment back in February before that.

Anyway, thank god or whoever that its done.  I'm really looking forward to working on something else.  Anything else, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment