Thursday, May 7, 2015

Brain Out Of Fuel. Powering Down.

I think I can feel the gears in my head grinding to a halt.  I did my editing today, which has been going well for the last few days and I'm crossing the 3/4 mark, and then I got the notion that I should write a new Jason Ingram short story and post it on my blog.  Hurray, right?

I haven't been able to think of anything since then.  It feels like dipping a bucket into a well and then pulling up a cat, a toy train, and a sculpture of a meatball sandwich.  You don't know how they fit together or what they're for.  And the more you dunk the bucket, the more of it you get.  You can imagine my irritation, I'm sure.  I keep thinking about how there are exercises for muscles and things, and that there must exercises for the brain.  Maybe I could just do a few mental jumping jacks to get the ball rolling.  But what those would be, I'm not sure.

Sometimes in these sorts of situations they tell you to freewrite about anything, which is what I'm doing now, I guess.  I think I need a tall glass of wine and a cheesy sci-fi movie to make fun of.  On that subject, one of my favorites is the Mario Bros. movie from 19...93?  Google it.  Booya, internet says it was 93 (I can remember that, but I don't know what to write about).


Dennis Hopper was in this sack of crap, too.  Seriously, why?

Anyway, this turd-shaped bucket of manure had John Leguizamo as Luigi and...uh, some dude that actually won awards as Mario (not googling him).  80% of this movie is screaming, grumbling, muttering and shouting from one set piece to another.  It is not only laughably incomparable to the source material, it's also absolutely nonsensical in its structure.  Over Christmas break, my friend (nephew-in-law?) Josh came over and we watched it together.  It was amazing to watch someone totally new react to it for the first time.  Beautiful.

I remember him screaming at me, "Why, Steve?  Why would they do this?  Is that supposed to be Yoshi?" Things like that every five minutes or so.  There's even a scene where they put the characters in brightly colored suits and they put the WRONG guy in red.  Just sad.

I'm feeling like I just need to turn my brain off for a while and let it power up again tomorrow.  Then we'll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment